They Say My Toddler Acts Like A Baby

The Single Crunch: They Say My Toddler Acts Like A Baby

They say my toddler acts like a baby because she still sleeps with me.

They say my toddler acts like a baby because she still nurses to sleep.

They say my toddler acts like a baby because she “forgets her words” and whines.

They say my toddler acts like a baby for refusing to help out when I say it’s time.

BUT

They say my toddler is mature because she dresses and washes herself.

They say my toddler is mature because when she’s upset she *asks* for help.

They say my toddler is mature for stating she’s “ayn-chis” or “fustch-anated”.

They look in awe when she declares, “Iss hod tew wait but I am wade-ing.”

I say my toddler is a toddler.

I say what they say reeks of childism.

I say I see a new human being exuding growth and grace – and wisdom.

But it seems in our society

The only worthy traits a young child can possess,

Are those that allow for adult contentment -

And don’t add to our stress.

So we praise them when they use the potty and cheer when they learn to tie.

But we mock and turn cold when they hit, and call them babies when they cry.

The behaviors that belie their age we stifle and we scold,

And all that stifling does is put the behavior on perpetual hold.

I say be a baby while you’re a babe, kid.

I say don’t listen to what they say.

Whine and cry while Momma can hold you for too soon you’ll be on your way.

I’ll allow you the time now to grow,

And I know growing has its pains.

I accept you, tantrums and tossed toys and all.

I won’t rush you to change.

I want you as you are,

Because I know the behavior isn’t “you”.

It’s okay that you’re smaller.

It’s okay that you’re new.

It’s okay that you can write and button,

But can’t yet keep from hitting.

It’s fine with me that you know the words but at times resort to spitting.

I say you act like a baby.

I say you act like you’re three.

And when you’re no longer a toddler,

I hope you’ll say you found solace in me.

To my spunky toddler whose energy is misunderstood by many, and to all toddlers in the same boat. And to the adults who support them and who stand against childist ideals.

Kimberley

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Breastfeeding, Childism, Poetry

7 Comments on “They Say My Toddler Acts Like A Baby”

1. March 16, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

Beautiful!

2. Wendy
    March 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Love it! I co-sleep with my 21 month old and she still nurses, and I wouldn’t change it for anything. I am a single working Momma and I enjoy every precious moment I have with her!

• March 20, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

Good for you Wendy! Natural-term breastfeeding is so beneficial and so *normal*, except in our culture. Continue to enjoy it, these young years fly by so quickly. You’re giving your babe the best possible start and making wonderful memories for both of you when she’s older. Thank you for reading. – K

3. Aya
    March 19, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

OMG THIS IS ME and my child, us and our lives. Reading this is seriously a mirrored reality of our lives me and my little lovely toddler. Our single, simple yet enriching life. Just stumbled upon your blog. Looking forward to reading more. I’m still in awe- it’s like the words just uttered right out of mine and my little loveies life.
    Go mama GO! we shall, we will, we are.

• March 20, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

Hi Aya! So glad you’re enjoying and that you can relate. That is one aspect I’ve really come to appreciate about writing here – I find so many parents who can relate to my situation. Maybe not completely but in many ways. Love your last line…we are indeed. :) Thank you for reading and commenting. – Kimberley

4. Queen Elodie of Nova
    March 26, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

I kinda, but not really completely, remember when I was a toddler- most of what I can remember, though, was debating outdated theories with a friend, because no one had given either of us a biology book that wasn’t at least twenty years out of date. And, when I was three or so, I got hooked onto the Harry Potter series. At about that time, my cousins came to visit, and we all got brutally killed, repeatably, in a Harry Potter video game. We were switching who played when, and we all were arguing about who did best. That boss wasn’t in the book, and it made. No. Sense! Still, it was fun.

5. March 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm #