What My Children Teach Me…

mychildrentech

-That whenever I walk down a quiet hall, there are spies following me.

-That every time I leave the house, dolls and pets start talking and going on dates and eating any food I’ve left out.  And they watch HGTV.

-That although we may be brown, red, yellow, pale, and many shades in between; there are really only two races of people in the world: mean people, and nice people.

-That breastfeeding, to a toddler, is as serious as voting or banking or paying bills is to us.

-That if I listen hard enough, trees and plants are whispering secrets.

-That my prayers don’t have to be answered immediately for me to feel satisfied; I simply need to pray, smile, and go on playing.

-That mudpies can be made after the sun goes down, just sit them out overnight to harden.

-That ‘dirty’ is a frame of mind.

-That I have it easy being 5’9”; the world is an obstacle course from 4 feet or less.

-That when I put anything to my ear – a piece of cardboard, a fork, a remote control – I really can talk to anyone I miss, even if they’ve passed.  Pets included.  And I can feel better.

-That it’s normal and acceptable to watch the same movie everyday, for months in a row.

-That anytime is a great time to make up a song, and belt it out at the top of my lungs.

-That they will adore me whether I yell and spank or not, which is all the more reason to never yell or spank.  They just want love.

-That in Hide and Seek, even if you can see my feet, legs, hair, knees, and hands, if you can’t see my eyes, I’m hidden.

-That if I don’t like my dinner, it’s because of this raging belly ache I’ve had all day but have just now noticed.

-That all words don’t have to be spelled write.  And grammar ain’t always so important.  You’ll still get the point, geesh.

-That when I look into the mirror, however I imagine myself looking is exactly how I look.  Probably even better.

-That’s it’s okay to look at someone who is asking for attention, and politely remark, “No thanks, I don’t really like you.”

-That all bathtubs are really just small portions of the Atlantic Ocean, and ships, pirates, seahorses and sharks are always in them, even if there’s no water in there.

-That sometimes, when I’m washing dishes, it’s okay to stop and just splash for five minutes.

-That if I’m not out of breath, I haven’t started playing.

-That not sleeping with my children would be, as my eldest says, “sorta weird and scary.”

-That shoes are a waste of time, and shoelaces are for wussies.

-That I am “so smart” and I “know everything;” that I am “the prettiest mom on our street;” that I’m “the best sweeper” they know; that I “make better mashed potatoes than Gramma;” that I am “a good listener, since you’re a mom;” and that I am perfect, my past and my flaws and all, at least for them.

Thank you, Ryleigh and Logan.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: Attachment Parenting, Have A Laugh, Playtime

17 Comments on “What My Children Teach Me…”

1. April 12, 2012 at 11:26 am #

This is so awesome!!! I love it. Funny and poignant at the same time. yay.

2. April 12, 2012 at 11:26 am #

I’m adding this to my favorites because I SO need to read it regularly.

• April 12, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

=) awww shucks, thanks Stephicakes…I need a reminder at times as well, which is why I wrote it.

3. Cara
    April 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

oh my goodness, I think I just fell in love with your blog. :-) Such a lovely reminder.

4. April 13, 2012 at 5:56 am #

I read this over and over – and it makes me smile every single time! So so true and brilliantly observed! xx

• April 13, 2012 at 11:12 am #

A smile is a great compliment. Thank you, and thank you for reading!

5. Cee
    April 14, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

Love it, a good reminder for us parents. P.S. Love your website design!

6. April 15, 2012 at 1:49 am #

So beautiful! Thank you.

7. April 15, 2012 at 8:50 am #

“That although we may be brown, red, yellow, pale, and many shades in between; there are really only two races of people in the world: mean people, and nice people.” So many things in your post made me smile but this did most of all. It’s going to become a quote of mine for my Girl Scouts, we are a mixed group and tho we don’t have issues in our troop with race, outside of the troop the girls experience it. Thank you for sharing your wisdom. :)

• April 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

Awww that is awesome. I am glad you will be able to use something I wrote, and happy to share it! Thank you for reading.

8. April 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

Love this! I too am adding it to my favorites.

9. April 16, 2012 at 8:48 am #

Thank you for these words of wisdom..Just puts every thing into perspective, its thing we know but somehow we just forgot them. Parenting is never easy some people would agree that you need a degree.

• April 16, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Thank you vey much! Parenting isn’t easy, but it’s woth every bit of the effort.

10. April 19, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

Yes. Yes. That’s the word I think of when reading this post – I can so relate! thanks so much for stoping by my blog! For sure will look at more of your posts…